Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Production

This morning I thought it would be a good idea to walk the homestead in order to see how things are taking shape.


Milo is still working the late shift, hunting mice and moles in the barn yard. He is a very good mouser.


The hens are laying well. The little chicks that we hatched out of our homemade incubator in February are growing fast.

I am very excited to say that we will not be hatching our next chicks from the incubator. We finally have a broody hen. Her babes should hatch out any day now.

Jessica and Jasmine are doing great. Although we do not plan to breed Jasmine until late summer/early fall, she did go into heat last week. That is good news as we do not own a buck and had heard that sometimes they will not go into heat without a buck present. Jessica seems to be growing much faster than what Jasmine did. I look forward to seeing them both in a year from now. I am sure they will be beautiful.



The garden is growing very nicely. (I didn't take a picture of the big garden because it needs to be tilled.) We have tomatoes, peppers, onions,beans,corn, potatoes, okra, squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumbers, garlic, spinach, peas, cabbage, broccoli, asparagus and carrots. All of which seem to be doing well.
(Pic of the the garlic and pea raised bed)

It looks like we will have plenty of strawberries from our raised bed.

The blueberry bushes are loaded...


And despite having to plant and replant one of our grapevines has twelve pods on it! Almost every tree in the orchard has an apple or a peach on it. I am very excited to see how production is in a couple of months.

6 comments:

  1. Are you excited about the chicks? I have a broody and she should hatch her clutch tomorrow or Friday. I'm anxious to see how many of the 8 eggs hatch. Also, I'm tempted to buy some day old chicks and put them under her. It worked perfectly with the Silkie. Can't wait to see the babies.

    Also the goats have really grown!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a bountiful garden and orchard! You are quit the grower Leigh. Can't wait to see it when it's time to harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, everyone!

    Sandy,
    I cant wait for the chicks to hatch. I had been stealing eggs from the other nesting boxes and slipping them under our broody hen. I am really excited to see what we end up with. I never even thought about slipping day old baby chicks under her! Good idea!!! I hate cleaning out the brooder so I feel like if this works I will have it made.

    Karen, I cant wait to see what everything looks like at harvest time either! I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the pics of your food production... I just bought 4 blueberry bushes that we still need to plant. We've dug up an area for our first garden, and we'll be putting in a strawberry bed too. We've been looking at fruit trees but haven't bought any yet. And we've been fixing up the ole chicken coop. Soon, very soon!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OZ,
    Good Luck on your first garden! I always get so excited when I hear of someones first year! :)

    ReplyDelete