Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spring Where are You?

This morning I went searching for any signs of springs arrival. I was a little pissed that I had to put on my long johns and wool socks before starting this mission. I am so ready for springs arrival!

I found a few traces of her...
Photobucket
This wouldn't be a spring post if I didn't have a photo of the daffodils in bloom.

The deer have been erasing the signs of spring in the orchard by continuing to prune back any signs of growth. I decided to go down to the mini orchard to see if our vile concoction of deer repellent is working... Apparently the deer have a great disgust for moth balls garlic and human hair. There hasn't been a branch broken since the first application! Along with sliced up Irish Spring soap thrown about the perimeter, this mixture worked fairly well on the garden last year.
Photobucket

A freshly plowed garden is a sign spring is right around the corner... Plowing the garden is our way of calling out to spring, telling her that we are prepared for her arrival. This past weekend we had the garden plowed. I was relieved to finally have this task completed but now it is a looming reminder of the tomatoes I have yet to start in the house.
Photobucket

Jasmine also helped me search for spring...
Photobucket

"No Jasmine, Spring is not hiding in the chicken house"
Photobucket
Suddenly, I am very thankful that we didn't put that doggie door in.

Our spring "Barred Rockingtons" chicks have feathered out nicely...
Photobucket
(Barred Rockington is our pet name for our mongrel chickens)

Until Springs full arrival, I will settle for the sun peeking through the clouds...

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I know the feelin girl..We tilled our garden spot almost two weeks ago..It desparately needs it again, but the hubs is outta town and I am a lil intimidated by the contraption..Lol! Maybe I'll do it tomorrow ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the daffodil! Yep! Spring is hiding out, but she is out there. I was surprised to find tiny green leaves on our cherry tree. Small signs, but there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read about the Irish Spring soap I had a hardy laugh about MY experience with Irish Spring soap as a deer repellent. Years ago, I read somewhere that if you cut up a bar of Irish Springs soap and hang it by strings on your rose bushes, the deer wouldn't touch them. So, having 8 rose bushes along my back porch, I decided to try it. I cut up 4 or 5 bars into about 1" pieces and used a needle to put string through them, then put 4 or 5 strategically placed pieces as to be "hidden", on each bush. Didn't want to look tacky! It seemed to work at first. But soon, one day I went out and the only thing left of my beautiful roses, was some thorny sticks with Irish Spring Soap hanging on them! No roses, hardly no leaves. Reminiscent of a Charley Brown Christmas tree. Truly pitiful! LOL Beware of Irish Spring. The best repellent I have found that works 99% of the time, is the Scarecrow, water sprinkler, that is motion activated. There's one on my blog. Check it out. It WORKS

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful spring images. Your chickens bring back memories from the farm.

    ReplyDelete