Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2015


If you cant beat them join em'!




  I hate chili. I don't know what it is about it but I just don't like it. Anytime someone has asked me what I like to eat or want for dinner I always say the same thing and they always reply with the same remark...

Them: {causually curious} "Leigh, what do you want to eat, I mean like what do you like"?

Me: {causually dry} "Ill eat anything and love it as long as its not chili or lima beans".

Them: {spunky attitude} "Oh honey you aint never had my chili"!

  Usually "said" people will be like, "oh you have to try my chili", and guess what!?!?!?! Usually I end up eating the one thing I stated that I did not like to eat. Wearily, I smile through every bite while being eagerly watched by pushy amateur chefs.

 Through the course of personal history I have concluded that there is just something about chili that makes everyone think they have nailed it... Me, being the self proclaimed chili critic has yet to be dazzled.

  Anyways, so last night I asked my husband Chopi, what he wanted for dinner today. He eagerly replied with a twinkle in his eyes "CHILI". But sadly I saw that twinkle fade as he recalled, "but you don't like chili, so what ever is fine", he said reassuringly. Ugh... his big brown eyes said, "I really want chili, but big heart said I want my wife to be happy". Well I like the sparkle in my hubby's eyes so I was ready to just blow his mind!

  So I said "No, lets fix Chili. It'll be good". So after hitting the gym I ran to the store. I called my mom on the way, recalling that they were chili people and asked for some sound advice.

  My dad answered instead, I guess my mom was off walking the dog or something. Anyways he rattled off a list of all the canned ingredients and seasonings that I should use. "Naw, I don't want to use that, naw I don't like that, this would be better. Oh what about this, that would be good don't you think", I asked...

  Well just about that time my mom walked through the door. "Well Sis (my dad calls me that sometimes- might be a West Virginia thing). " Well Sis", he says. "Your mom just walked through the door maybe you can ask her what to use, she can tell you and you can tell her that you aren't going to use any of that stuff and then you can tell her how you are going to make your chili your way". I laughed and said "good idea"!

  I talked to my mom about the snow that hit their area and then told her of the great Chili experience I was about to embark on.

  Once I got home I was so super excited to make this chili! I couldnt wait to get started. I could feel my spirit filling with hope! I might just become a chili person after all, I thought! I could feel a new and unique sassy alter ego creeping into my personality "GUUUURRRRL YOU HAVE NEVER HAD MY CHILI"!

  Ah...... I like this feeling! Is this what cooking chili feels like I wondered? No wonder people like this whole chili thing...

  I was kind of taken back by this! There is something about chili that makes people nuts!

So I get to working my kitchen magic...chopping... sprinkling... sauteing... mixing... and.... VOILA!



   Ok so after eating it, I will say I will happily eat this chili but I cant say that I am now that crazy chili person that loves to force feed non-chili eaters in hopes of converting them.

If you like Chili you might like this, you might not...

  BUT in the spirit of the moment I like to call this recipe...

  
                               GURRRRL YOU AINT NEVAH HAD MA CHILI, chili. ;-)

2 tbls Olive oil
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Basil
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 lb +/- Package of ground Turkey
 1 Sweet onion chopped
4 Garlic cloves minced
10 Diced Roma tomatoes
3 Packs of French's Chili-O seasoning
11/2 c Black beans
11/2 c Red beans
11/2 c Kidney beans
11/2 large containers of chicken broth.
salt to taste.

Fritos

Toppings:
Sour cream, shredded cheese, crumbled goat cheese, and green onions.

Sauté, onions, turkey, and minced garlic in olive oil with basil garlic powder and oregano. Add Chili-O seasoning powder and mix. Then add diced tomatoes.

Meanwhile pour chicken broth and beans into a crock pot and cook on low heat. After Turkey mixture is cooked thoroughly pour into crock pot. I cooked ours over night.

Serve on a bed of Frito's with desired toppings.

Enjoy!


6 comments:

  1. Well knock me down and call me Sarah, you're back m'dear! Mmmm guess I'm brave enough to give your recipe a try.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what did hubby think of your Italian turkey chili?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gorges. Well he said it was really good and he ate more than two bowls of it but the real judgments come from the kiddos. All three of the older kids gobbled it up (must be the Fritos) so I am thinking this will be a keeper.

      Delete
  3. Well hi there! So glad to hear you are doing well and that you whipped up a mighty mean chili!! I have to confess, I'm totally a bean person and will eat anything that is beans or has beans! :) Anyway, so glad to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete